From the article: Why Does Scuba Diving Make You Need to Pee in Your Wetsuit?
Most divers feel a need to pee in their wetsuits while scuba diving. Do you succumb to the call of nature underwater? Why or Why Not?
- I often need to, but find I have difficulty if I'm swimming and not vertical. This is why drift diving along a wall is the best. You won't look out of place if you stop moving and remain upright for a bit.
- —Guest Andre
- Normally a diver will pee in their wetsuit when the water totally cold or they more enjoy their dive and they don't want to finish it just for pee. diving in Bali is very amazing for me and i don't want to finish it just for pee :D
- —Guest hendry
can that affect marine life?
- As you explained is sterile, I guess its not. but why do sone signs in reef national parks ask not to pee in the reef? When I can´t help it I do, but always feel guilty about it!
- —Guest Gabi
Yes I do
- A dive is meant to be enjoyable. Peeing keeps it just that and allows our focus to be on the dive and safety associated with the dive
- —Guest Big D
- dont do it,you will contract yellow johndus after a few episodes or event's,control is everything or ware a condum!
- —Guest g/wrench
- Sure I pee in my wetsuit, but it takes some dicipline to remember when I'm diving dry not to. Women friends of mine use adult diapers with great success. Also remember to rinse out your wetsuit completely afterwards. once I forgot and left my wetsuit in a hot car trunk for a few days and was very surprised when I opened the trunk!
- —Guest Denco
I hear you
- Im a scuba diver and i always pee in my wet suit plus it makes you sooooo much warmer. Its perfect when you are diving in cold seas or see a shark:)
- —Guest Wolf girl
Yes, I can't help it.
- I was so glad to read all the responses. I agree, as soon as we gear up, I have to go, but hold it until we jump in the ocean. Then when we are all ready to go down, that is when I end up going. Just the thrill of being in the ocean and being able to dive, makes me go. After reading the responses, it seems natural not to go in the ocean.
- —Guest LeAnn
- Of course i do. I can't seem to hold it in and overtime enjoy pee-ing underwater.
- —Guest Chloe
- This makes me love rental suits.....The dive community shares everything.
- —Guest Christian
- Wow am I relieved to read this. My instructor told us not to pee in our wetsuits and he has like 4000 dives. Then I noticed he dives in swim trunks with a hooded top. Now I get it! In any case my problem was probably made worse by trying to wear an equally sized farmer john over a full wetsuit, thus constricting everything even more and probably shunting more blood to my core. Won't do that again. Will pee!
- —Guest Pedro
- Fascinating - I thought it was just me! I wear a drysuit and always feel a need to pee as soon as the zip is done up. This is not improved by carting heavy kit about. I always need to go urgently after a dive, but you have to learn to hang on until you get ashore if you're female - drysuit pee-valves aren't much use to us... But so far I've never neeeded to pee while actually under water, even in a wetsuit. (And no, I'm not lying about it! Maybe it's because I've always dived in a drysuit, which is *not* a good thing to pee in, or maybe it's because I wouldn't dream of peeing in my own clothes, so why would I let myself do it in a wet- or drysuit?.)
- —Guest Greyhound
Do you pee in your wetsuit...
- I can't pee in my wetsuit while diving. I have tried it to but I just can't. I will attempt to pee during surface time. I will jump into the sea around waist deep, pull down my wetsuit to waist level and do it...
- —Guest Andrew
- Ditto what Guest Sherri said...you're either peeing or you're lying! :-)
- —Guest SelkeGirl
Of course I pee in my wetsuit
- I have a "skin in" wetsuit with no nylon lining, just smooth rubber. Therefore, the pee chemicals do not get stuck in the nylon, but just flush out. So, a brief rinse keeps it from smelling.
- There are 2 kinds of divers, those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who lie about it.;)
- —Guest Sherri